Saturday, November 12, 2011

Lunch.

Today was a good day. I went for a walk then decided to spend some time at St-Laurent Shopping Centre, not to shop, but just to walk around, although I did end up buying a cheap bath mat shaped like a foot, at the dollar store :)

I spent some time at the food court, enjoying my Ham Subway Sub and witnessed something that was at the same time heartwarming, then turned into something quite a bit less.

The heartwarming part of my story began when I noticed this cute older couple, making their way past the food court. The gentleman was pushing his wife on her wheelchair, even though it looked like he could have used a bit of help doing so as you could see that he was struggling. I watched them make their way past one food kiosk to the next, the man struggling but determined to keep going. It was an amazing sight for me to see. I felt bad because I could see it wasn't an easy task for him to do, but at the same time, I thought "WOW", this guy really loves her to make the time, and the obviously painstaking effort to take his woman out to lunch and enjoy an afternoon with her when they could have easily stayed at home for a quiet day. Eventually, I lost sight of them and continued eating my sub.

A good 15 minutes later, I saw them again, taking the same path one kiosk to the next...I then realized that they had gone all around the food court looking for a table to sit and eat at, as it was lunch hour and the food court was packed. A table for two cleared up as they were passing it by, about 3 tables from where I was sitting, and I thought, this is great, or else I was getting ready to get up and give them my table for two, even though I was still in the middle of my lunch.

What happened next made the story less heartwarming. As the couple was maybe 5 feet from the table, slowly walking towards it, 2 guys, probably in their early 20s, big strong healthy guys, rushed in and laid claim to the spot.

Now, anyone who knows me knows that I was just cringing inside, not mad at the guys, but just feeling so bad about the situation. As the guys stood in front of the chairs, unloading their backpacks, the lady kindly asked them "are you boys sitting here?" For a second, I thought, thank goodness, these guys probably didn't see the couple as they were walking towards the table, and will offer them the seats. My cringe became more intense when one of the guys replied "yes we are" and sat down.

At that moment, I think my heart sank way down to my toes. I couldn't believe what I had just witnessed. I mean, this couple wasn't asking them if they were going to sit there just out of curiosity, it was there nice and polite way of asking if they could sit here because they were tired and needed to sit down.

The nice couple didn't say anything, they just turned around and started walking away, obviously to try and find another table.

What troubled me the most about this is that the 2 guys seemed like your typical, average guys who looked and seemed like respectful normal dudes, just at the mall chilling and not there to cause trouble or anything.

Obviously, well to me anyways, there was no way I was going to let this couple walk away looking for another table.

I waved at them and told them to come and take my table, even though I was still enjoying my lunch. They didn't want to take the table, and you could see that they felt bad, but they walked over and accepted. I pushed one of the chairs away so she could park her wheelchair while the man took my seat, he looked so exhausted. They thanked me.

As I was rounding up my things and putting my jacket on, the lady asked her husband if he could get her a sub at Subway, and he replied "let me just catch my breath sweetheart, and I'll get us some". Again, I felt so bad and offered to get the food for them. They didn't want me too, but I insisted. I told them, if you don't tell me what you want, I might come back with subs you don't like, so you better tell me what kind of subs that you want lol. Reluctantly, they told me a full Assorted Sub that they would share and a small white milk each.

When I came back, they were so appreciative and already had the money out on the table for me. I told them not to worry about the money. The man shook my hand while the lady told me that I had a gentle heart. I told them to enjoy there lunch and that it was nice meeting them.

Now, don't get me wrong here, I'm not writing this to toot my own horn, because I know that everyone related to me family-wise as well as my friends, would have done the same, and more people of course.

It just gives me another example at how society is changing, as in respecting and caring for others, whether you actually know them or not. I'm not saying that those 2 guys are bad people, they probably didn't even realize what they had done, which is what I'm getting at...it should just have come naturally to them to get up and offer that couple their table, people should just be able to care and love others without having to think about it, it should just happen.

The whole incident also showed me something about true love. That cute couple has probably been together their whole life, and that man was taking his wife out for lunch, pushing her around in her wheelchair in a shopping mall even though it was an extreme physical effort for him to do so, probably because it makes her happy to be out and about amongst other people.

So lunch was interesting for me today. It reinforced my beliefs on what true love is all about, my beliefs on naturally caring about others and my belief that I LOVVVVE Subway subs :)

2 comments:

Johanne H said...

Lovely. I've never met you, but you have a kind heart. What goes around, comes around! ; )

Luc Whissell said...

Thanks Johanne...you're not so bad yourself lol :)